Thursday 7 October 2010

Hello and welcome to Mum in the Middle.

I am a 40 something (actually I’m nearer 50 but as I’ve been told that’s the age women officially become ‘invisible’, I’ll stick with 40+ for now) mother of three. I have been happily married to my significant other for more years than either of us care to remember (18 at the last count) and we live in a seaside town in the south east of England with our children. My work as a writer and editor, as well as being something I am passionate about, fits in well with family life and my husband is caring and supportive (even if he does sometimes drive me to distraction).

On paper, it sounds like the perfect life until I add that my three adorable children, two daughters and one son, are well past the toddler tantrums and fussy eating stage. They are all growing up fast and as they begin to find their independence, the worries that come with having a family just keep getting bigger.

Let me introduce you:

Lillie, is 16 and is all about friends, Facebook, piercings, tattoos, music and the latest big thing – the LTB (long term boyfriend). Beth is 13, creative and wise beyond her years. She is into fashion, clothes, singing and drama (with much of the latter currently being played out at home.) Josh, at nine, is still at primary school but beginning to look much too big to be there. He is mad about sport; football, running, swimming, tennis, gymnastics, cricket… Oh and his PlayStation. I only wish he was as keen to read a book as he is to reach the next level on the latest PS3 game!

Oh, and then there is my mum. She is a lovely, salt of the earth kind of mother who would do anything for you from discreetly paying for lunch when you’re a bit short of cash to tackling that huge pile of ironing you haven’t quite got round to doing. She is in her 80s and insists on living alone in a house that is far too big for her. She is a wonderful mum but, without doubt, the most stubborn woman you could ever wish to meet.

I love them all, of course I do, but I am a part of that growing band of women who hit middle age and the menopause only to find themselves simultaneously coping with a growing family and elderly relatives. Together we are a part of the ‘sandwich’ generation.

Much has been written about life with babies and young children but the next stage can be even more challenging, particularly when you bring elderly relatives into the picture. I want to share my experiences and hopefully hear about some of yours.

I am mum in the middle.

I hope you enjoy my blog and I look forward to meeting you here again soon. x
   
   

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I can relate - look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, my mother is also incredibly stubborn. And we can't threaten to stop their pocket money like we can with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to reading more of this family !

    ReplyDelete