Thursday 3 March 2011

Who cleans the loo in your house?

A recent survey revealed that although many women with families also hold down jobs, the majority of domestic chores still fall to them. This does not surprise me in the slightest for in my own experience, even when our partners are well intentioned they still fall short of the mark.

I have often been grateful that my husband can cook and even admit that he is really good at rustling up a nutritious meal out of next to nothing, the only down side being the state of the kitchen when he has finished. And we are talking mess on a grand scale here, not just a few items left lying around. At the risk of sounding ungrateful (which I’m not) I often think it might have been simpler to do the job myself rather than have to spend ages clearing up afterwards.

To be fair, hubbie has tried to amend his untidy ways over the years, but the fact remains that if it was left to him, the house would be in utter chaos. Maybe (as he has suggested) I worry too much about a bit of mess but if it were left to him, I am certain that the toilet would never get cleaned. He doesn't mean to be negligent, it just wouldn't occur to him.

So, I wonder what would happen if for just one week I stopped doing things. Would anyone even notice?

Who would:
  • Put a new toilet roll on the holder when the old one runs out?
  • Hang up wet towels.
  • Do the washing.
  • AND the ironing.
  • Put the newly laundered clothes away.
  • Make sure everyone had the right kit on the right day.
  • Get them to their chosen activities.
  • AND bring them home again.
  • Organise the shopping.
  •  Prepare and cook meals
  •  AND clear up afterwards.
  •  Hoover the carpet and sweep the floors.
  •  Change the beds.
  • Do the dusting.
  • Clean the bathroom.
  • AND the toilet.
The list is endless. Maybe, if I just stopped being responsible for all these chores my family would learn to do things for themselves.

Or maybe not!

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Oh totally! My other half is actually pretty good with washing up and putting on loads of washing. But that's where it ends. He won't wash down the draining board and he certainly won't put clothes away. As for hoovering, cleaning the bathroom, washing down window sills, dusting and polishing etc, well he doesn't think they're vital tasks. Wonder if he'd still think that if they stopped getting done.

    As for the toilet, don't get me started....

    ReplyDelete